High Protein Foods: What Are They?
The typical goal for daily protein intake is around 50 grams, give or take. This recommendation is completely dependent on your body, lifestyle, and dietary needs. Many people want to increase their protein intake for a few reasons. More lean protein means more lean muscle. The more muscle on your body, the less fat! More importantly, protein helps our body to build muscle, make enzymes and hormones, and repair tissues. Plus, our hair and nails are made almost entirely of protein. For these reasons and so many more, it's important we get enough protein in our daily diet. So many people don't get enough, and it can be harmful to your health. If you're someone who needs to increase their protein intake, or just someone who's just curious about high-protein foods, read on to learn more!
What are the top 10 protein foods?
There are many high-protein foods that are healthy and great for your overall health. To see great health benefits, it's important to have a balance with the foods you eat. For example, pair your proteins with veggies and healthy fats. Your body needs a combination of clean, whole foods such as fruit, carbs, whole grains, high-quality proteins, and other such foods. Healthy eating doesn't have to be hard or expensive like many people believe it to be. In fact, it can be relatively cheap when you buy things in bulk and plan out your meals for the week. Most high-protein foods are actually some of the least expensive items at the grocery stores. A can of beans? $1 at most stores. A dozen eggs? $2-$3 in many places. If you can buy organic food, that's great. However, if it is too expensive, focus on buying organic meats above everything else. Other items can be washed thoroughly, and things like beans and quinoa are pretty low on the list of contaminated foods. With meat and seafood, there's a much higher chance of hormones and other additives being in the meat if you don't buy organic. At the very least, check to see if it is wild-caught or grass-fed so you know the animal was eating a clean source of food. It's ok if you can't buy all organic or specialty brands. As long as you make conscious choices and do the best you can within your means, that's good enough! If you are looking to incorporate more protein content into your diet, here's a list of the top 10 foods (not in order) high in protein:
- Meats and seafood such as turkey, chicken breast, lean beef, and fish. Fish is great because not only does it contain protein, it contains omega-3 fatty acids. If you aren't vegan or vegetarian, this is one of the best ways to consume protein.
- Some dairy products, such as greek yogurt and cottage cheese, have a high amount of protein in them. Greek yogurt is great because it's low in fat, but contains calcium and vitamin D, and typically 10 grams or more of protein.
- Lentils are an excellent source of protein, as a half cup contains 12 grams of protein. There are tons of hearty soup recipes and other dishes that contain lentils. They're easy to make, and they are a great addition to any meal.
- Nuts like peanut butter, almonds, cashews, pistachios are perfect, easy options for a protein boost. Only 2 tablespoons of peanut butter will get you 8 grams of protein and an ounce of almonds gives you 6 grams. Grab a handful of nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter for a quick snack and lots of protein!
- Beans such as black beans, chickpeas (which are used to make hummus, also high in protein), and kidney beans are also packed with protein. In just a half cup of black beans, there are 7 grams of protein.
- Avocado is a good source of protein and an even better source of healthy fats. A cup of avocado contains 3 grams of protein, making it great to add to smoothies or salads. Or, spread it on toast for the perfect balanced breakfast.
- Eggs and egg whites are amazing protein boosters. One egg contains 6 grams of protein, so adding one or two to your meal will really make a difference. Hard-boiled eggs also make great snacks that are filling and healthy.
- For those who are vegan, tempeh and tofu are high in protein. A half-cup of tofu contains 10 grams of protein, while one cup of tempeh contains a whopping 31 grams of protein. This is something that anyone could consider adding to their diet if they want an easy source and tons of protein.
- Quinoa is a great option for any diet if you want to eat more protein. There are 8.4 grams of protein per cup. It's a great substitute for rice and makes a good addition to any salad.
- Protein shakes and smoothies made with whey protein, vegan protein powder, or collagen are all great sources of protein. Typically, one serving of protein powder contains 12-15 grams of protein, but some contain even higher amounts. Protein shakes and smoothies make great meal replacements or pre and post-workout snacks. They're also completely customizable and you can add as much or as little protein as you need!
Which fruit has the most protein?
Fruit is not typically considered a high source of protein. However, there are some fruits that contain a decent amount of protein, so you may consider adding more of them into your diet. The fruits that contain the most protein are: guavas, avocados, apricots, and kiwis. It's important to note that all these fruits all have 4 grams of protein or less per cup, so they aren't as great of a source as the food items we listed above.
How can I increase my protein intake?
It's fairly easy to increase your protein intake. The best way to do it is to eat plenty of protein-packed foods every day! If you are struggling to eat more foods with protein, you can always add a protein supplement to your diet. From powders to bars, there are quite a few good options for healthy protein supplements. You can always talk to your doctor or dietitian if you still need help increasing your protein intake.
What is a good protein snack?
If you're looking for a snack that's high in protein, but is also made with clean ingredients and can give you tons of benefits, look no further. Our Kalumi BEAUTYfood bars each have 15 grams of protein. The best part is, the protein comes from collagen. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body, and it's formed through chains of amino acids. The essential amino acids for its formation include glycine and proline. As a supplement, it's one of the best protein sources available. Collagen is not only a great protein source, it can help with weight loss and increasing muscle mass. Plus, Kalumi BEAUTYfood bars contain other all-natural, clean ingredients such as sweet potato, cocoa butter, and yacon syrup, to help support your natural collagen production and retention while also support your overall wellness.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.Sources: